2013 was a big year for video games. Microsoft and Sony joined the 8th console generation in November with the release of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 respectively.
2014 is going to see a ramping up of the games for these consoles. With that, I am going to be ramping up my writing here at Parenting Gamers.
Here is the schedule I am going to keep starting Monday, January 13th.
- Monday – New Releases/News - For the most part, new video games are released on Tuesdays. I will cover the new games coming out that week. I will include as much information as I can to help you make purchasing decisions.
I will also include any big news from the last week. This will include things like announcements and stories from the mainstream media.
- Wednesday – Feature Article – These articles will cover a range of topics. These include (but are not limited to):
- Specific Game Spotlights – I will take a popular game or series and break them down. This will include games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Minecraft.
- Hardware Breakdowns – I will select a console and breakdown a specific feature. For example, all 3 of the major consoles (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U) offer parental controls. I will write an article detailing how to setup each one.
- Big News – While I will include news stories in the Monday article, there will be times when a specific story deserves more attention. For example, in 2011, the Supreme Court struck down a California law restricting the sale of M rated video games to minors. I will explore stories like that in more detail.
- Study Breakdowns – There have been numerous studies trying to determine the effect video games have on people. Some claim to find video games make people more aggressive, others claim they don’t. I will breakdown these studies, both good and bad.
- Friday – Gamer Vocabulary 101 – As with most hobbies, gamers have our own vocabulary. I will help you understand the terms your child is using.
I will also be releasing some products throughout the year. There will be more information about those in the weeks to come.